Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day one at the Fair

Well I wasn't sure how I was going to do this for the fair.  Since there are 11 days for the GREAT Iowa State Fair, I guess I will be doing 11 posts.  I know this is very late but I am a very busy lady these days!!! 

This year was a first for me as I spend the entire fair in the camper up on the hill.  16 nights in a camper sounded great in the beginning, but by the end of the fair.............I was READY to be in my own bed!!!  It was a great time however!

I had to work this day at my office's booth down on the fairgrounds.  You see a lot of very interesting people while sitting at a booth for 6 hours.  I am a HUGE people watcher so this is great fun for me.  The fashion seen at the fair is priceless to say the least!

After my shift at the booth I went to pick up B for his first "big boy" experience at the fair! He went last year but he was so little and didn't really interact with much.  This year was a totally different experience!

On our way down the hill, while walking with the stroller we saw a lady giving another lady a hair cut outside her camper. She was completely prepared with the cape and all.  I am guessing this wasn't the first time it had happened and it won't be the last!!  What a site to see at the fair!! 

We headed to the cattle barn to see some of  B's favorite people! His cousins Lukas, Krista, and Brelynn were there waiting to see him! He gets so excited when he sees them he almost jumps out of the stroller!  I spent most of my life in the cattle, sheep, and hog barns so it melts my heart to see B enjoy himself in there. 
  
B is learning the tricks of the trade from Lukas
On our way to meet the shuttle I saw something I have never seen at the fair in all my 32 years of attending.  I have seen little kids running around the barn bare footed but that is "normal" where I come from.  But to see a grown women, walking around up by the main area of the fair WITHOUT ANY SHOES ON.................that was DISGUSTING!!! She looked like she had been doing it for a while too.

If you have ever been to the fair and stayed in the campers or been to the campers on the hill, it is a pretty good walk up the hill.  So we usually take the shuttle at least to the stop that is closest to our camper and then walk from there.  So the shuttle consists of a tractor and 5-6 bench seating wagon that they pull behind.  It works great except when you have a stroller with a child that is sound asleep and you are by yourself.  Trying to load it isn't exactly easy!!!  

Thank god I live in the Great State of Iowa where people are friendly (for the most part) and willing to help out a stranger! So I had a very nice gentleman help me load the stroller and up the hill we went.  The same nice gentleman helped me off the shuttle at our stop and we walked back to the camper. 

I can't remember all the amazing foods we ate every day but I can tell you this day we ate at the Dinner Bell with my brother and his family.  I had a very good roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes.  There are so many great things to eat at the fair but the Dinner Bell is a must have at least once!

Well this concludes our day one at the fair!! I can't wait to tell you about the rest of my fun...............

Piece and Chicken Grease Y'all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment