Friday, April 19, 2013

November 19, 2009 Part 1

To give you a little bit of the back story to this, my husband had not been feeling very well the last couple of weeks during this time.  He had been having terrible headaches and his eyes were really red and hurt really bad.  He wasn't sure what was going on so finally he had decided to call and get an appointment at our family doctor. 

So on November 19, 2009 in the afternoon he went to the family doctor and she checked him out.  She wasn't sure what was going on with the eyes but was pretty sure the headache issue was cluster migraines and gave him some medicine for it. 

She said if they didn't start to go away by the middle of next week to give her a call and she would order an MRI and we would go from there.  Sounds great.  We are getting somewhere with this. 

So later that day my mom was in helping me do some cleaning in our bathroom.  It is a small bathroom and didn't have an exhaust fan at the time so had gotten some mold in there.  So we were cleaning it and Adam was just talking to us while we did since he still didn't feel very well.

The house smelled like cleaner so after my mom left we decided to go to a local restaurant to grab some dinner and let the house air out for a little while.  We opened a couple windows and headed out.

We had sat down at our favorite Mexican restaurant and started eating some chips and salsa.  Talking about our days and me checking on the hubs to see how he was feeling.  His head was still hurting but not any worse so we got our usual orders and continued talking.  Quickly after placing our order, the waitress brought our food out.  It is always so delicious there, so we dug right in!  We hadn't gotten very much of our dinner eaten and I stopped to ask the hubs how his was tasting.

He looked up to tell me and he got this very strange look on his face........I thought maybe he had something stuck in his tooth or was starting to choke on his bite he had in his mouth. 

And just with the blink of an eye.......he fell back in his chair, knocked the table over at the same time and was turning the darkest shade or purple I have ever seen.  I have never seen anything like it in my life.  


I froze......I couldn't even get out of the chair.......I couldn't yell for help........I couldn't ask for someone to call 911.......I couldn't do ANYTHING!!!  

FINALLY I came to and just at that time there were three Angels (nurses that just happened to be eating at the restaurant at the same time) that came rushing over to help him.  They thought he was choking on his food and tried to give him the Heimlich.  Now at this time my husband was a very large man.  He weighed about 350 pounds and was very strong.  It was all those three little ladies could do to give him the Heimlich and try to get that food out.  

As they were working on him I got enough composure to call 911 and let them know what was going on and got an ambulance on the way ASAP!  I also called my mom to let her know what was happening......

I will never forget this as long as I live............this was all I could get to come out of my mouth when I had my mom on the phone........"Mom, come back to Des Moines, Adam is DYING!" That was it.  I couldn't get anything else to come out....I just kept saying that over and over.

He was so purple and making such a terrible sound I have never heard before.  When the ambulance arrived (which felt like HOURS later) they got him on the gurney and into the ambulance.  I didn't even ask I just got in the front seat and sat there.......I was in total shock. 

I had called my friend and let her know what was going on so I would have someone at the hospital and I didn't have to be alone.  My mom wouldn't be there for about an hour as they live away from town.  


On the way to the hospital (about 10 minutes) Adam coded twice.  I just felt like everything was in SLOW MOTION.  I felt like we were driving 5 miles per hour instead of 50 and like we were taking the LONGEST way to the hospital.  I know they weren't and the EMT's were doing everything they could to help him.  But I didn't know what was wrong or what was happening and that is the WORST feeling you can have!!

Once into the ER I got my composure once again and talked to the Doctor on call.  He was asking me all these questions and I didn't know the answer to any of them.  Yes we were married but for only a YEAR.  I didn't know his entire health history.  Do you know?  From the time your spouse was a baby until now?  I didn't! 

I finally couldn't take it anymore...........I had to get away......I had to have my "space"......I looked everywhere......finally!!!  The bathroom!  That would work!!!


I ran in there and locked the door as fast as I could!!!  I got in there and (here comes the TMI part....sorry!) I sat on the toilet and shit in the toilet and puked in the garbage all at the same time for a good 5 minutes!  I am not sure where it all came from but I felt like my entire body was turning inside out!!

I pulled myself together and got back out to the doctors and nurses.......but when I did.........I had wished I didn't!!  What I saw next was NOT anything I will EVER forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment